Calvörde, Saxony-Anhalt, Germany
Calvörde is a municipality in the Börde district in Saxony-Anhalt, Germany. It is situated approx. 15 km northwest from Haldensleben between the Ohre river and the Midland Canal. Calvörde is part of the Verwaltungsgemeinschaft ("collective municipality") Oebisfelde-Calvörde. Before 1944 the Amt of Calvörde was part of the Duchy of Brunswick.
The first documentary mention goes back to the year 1196. At the place, where today still is a bridge, was a ford through the Ohre river. A trade route which came from southeast crossed the river here. It led from Leipzig across Magdeburg to Lüneburg and Hamburg. There also was a second road which came from Braunschweig. The emergence of the ford is attributed to a man named Kale. That's why the historic meaning of "Calvörde" is Kale's ford.
References sources : wikipedia