The Charles Bridge, a famous historical bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic ( UNESCO WHS )
The Charles Bridge is a famous historical bridge that crosses the Vltava river in Prague, Czech Republic. Absolute Location: 50°5′11.21″N 14°24′42.68″ECoordinates: 50°5′11.21″N 14°24′42.68″E. Its construction started in 1357 under the auspices of King Charles IV, and finished in the beginning of the 15th century. As the only means of crossing the river Vltava (Moldau), the Charles Bridge was the most important connection between the Old Town, Prague Castle and adjacent areas until 1841. This "solid-land" connection made Prague important as a trade route between Eastern and Western Europe. The bridge was originally called the Stone Bridge or the Prague Bridge but has been the "Charles Bridge" since 1870.
The bridge is 516 meters long and nearly 10 meters wide, resting on 16 arches shielded by ice guards. It is protected by three bridge towers, two of them on the Lesser Quarter side and the third one on the Old Town side. The Old Town bridge tower is often considered to be one of the most astonishing civil gothic-style buildings in the world. The bridge is decorated by a continuous alley of 30 statues and statuaries, most of them baroque-style, erected around 1700.
During the night the Charles Bridge is a quiet place. But during the day it changes its face into a very busy place, with painters, owners of kiosks and other traders alongside numerous tourists crossing the bridge.
查理大桥是捷克共和国首都布拉格市内，一座跨越伏尔塔瓦河的著名的历史桥梁。精确定位：50°5′11.21″N 14°24′42.68″E。它由查理四世始建于1357年，完成于15世纪初。直到1841年，作为跨越伏尔塔瓦河的唯一桥梁，查理大桥是联接老城与布拉格城堡及邻近地区最重要的通道，也使得布拉格成为东西欧之间重要的贸易通道。该桥最初称为“石桥”（Kamenný most）或“布拉格桥”（Pražský most），直到1870年才命名为“查理大桥”。
References sources : wikipedia